We understand that unwanted hair can lower self-esteem, causing people to be self-conscious and embarrassed. It doesn’t have to be that way.
Brisbane Skin encourages people to explore our broad range of dermatological cosmetic solutions for aesthetic problems such as unwanted face and body hair. Each treatment we provide is customised to a client’s individual needs and designed to enhance your natural beauty. That’s important when it comes to treating facial and body hair.
Brisbane Skin Gives You the Facts About DIY Treatments for Hair Removal
Before visiting Brisbane Skin, it’s not unusual for people to visit the aisles of their local pharmacies. The shelves are filled with do-it-yourself options for hair removal on the face and body. Unfortunately, as you’ll see below, these solutions to unwanted hair can cause problems of their own:
- Bleaching – Bleaching solutions that lighten hair provide a time-honoured approach to making excess hair more invisible. Unfortunately, the same chemical that makes the bleach an effective hair lightener can also irritate delicate skin.
- Depilatories – Generally offered in cream form, these hair removal products deliver spotty results at best, often leaving many hairs behind. Additional hair removal creams irritate skin even on non-sensitive areas such as the legs or underarms. This irritation can lead to dermatitis.
- Plucking – The least expensive, but the most painful solution for unwanted hair removal is plucking, also known as epilation. Hairs grow back quickly with this method, and plucking can lead to pain, folliculitis, irritation, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and even scarring.
- Shaving – Shaving is the most common method of removing unwanted hair and the one men swear by. However men swear for different reasons when shaving leaves unsightly stubble or triggers bumps and rashes. Plus, for many men, shaving might need to be repeated up to twice daily to keep ahead of excess hair.
- Waxing – When applied to the skin, a layer of wax can be used to remove facial and leg hairs. The wax is applied while warm and when it dries, it is pulled off, along with the targeted hairs. This process frequently leads to painful ingrown hairs and post-waxing breakouts. Additionally, waxing chemicals have been known to cause allergic reactions in some patients.
If you have been experiencing unsatisfactory results using these methods to remove unwanted hair, you may be an excellent candidate for the next generation of hair removal that we offer to our patients in Brisbane: laser hair removal treatments.
Why We Recommend Laser Hair Removal
During your consultation at Brisbane Skin, our skin specialists will review all the major issues that impact the decision regarding the best laser hair removal treatment option for you. Key factors include:
- Skin tone
- Hair texture
- Pain threshold
Permanent hair removal is made possible at Brisbane Skin with the help of our state of the art laser suite. It allows us to target hair follicles with light energy, which is absorbed by the melanin in hair follicles. The energy is naturally converted to heat by the body. The increase in temperature, though painless to you, injures stem cells in the bulb and bulge of your hair follicle, destroying it for good.
The Elite MPX allows for safe, comfortable hair-removal for ALL skin types, due to the dual wavelengths (755nm Alexandrite and 1064nm Nd:YAG) and Zimmer cooling. The wavelengths utilised are also the most efficient for reduction of hair in all skin tones, requiring the least number of treatments. The Elite MPX is also one of the quickest devices on the market with a large spot-size, enabling the treatment do be done in seconds to just a few minutes.
Laser hair removal results are considered permanent when a large amount of excess hair is destroyed in an area and fails to return during what would be considered a complete growth cycle, generally three months.
Of course not every patient that visits Brisbane Skin for laser hair removal achieves instant success. Generally, multiple treatments might be required based on the type of hair you have, the area of the body the hair is growing and your skin type. During that time, the hair that does grow back tends to be lighter, finer, and less noticeable than before.
3 Reasons Brisbane Skin Chooses Laser Hair Removal
The skin and hair experts at Brisbane Skin never take a one-size-fits-all approach to recommending a treatment. We work with our patients to help them find a hair removal protocol that is tough on hair, but easy on the skin. Three reasons laser hair removal is often our recommendation is because of
- Laser Hair Removal Offers Precision – Laser hair removal precisely targets dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
- Laser Hair Removal Offers Speed – Laser hair removal is fast. In the blink of an eye, laser light can destroy all the hair in an area the size of a dollar coin. Treatment to remove excess hair on the upper lip can take as little as five seconds.
- Laser Hair Removal Offers Permanence – 90% of patients who undergo laser hair removal treatments experience permanent hair reduction after just 3-5 sessions.
Laser Hair Removal Can Also be Used To Treat:
- Pseudofolliculitis Barbae – A condition due to ingrown hairs in the beard area, leading to chronic inflammation, infection and scarring.
- Acne keloidalis nuchae – Similar to pseudofolliculitis barbae, presenting on the backs of necks.
- Hirsutism – This term describes excess hair in woman. It is almost always due to hereditary factors. Hirsutism is especially troubling because it appears on a woman’s body in areas usually associated with male hair growth such as the chin and upper lip. Hirsutism can also trigger an increase in hair on a woman’s chest and pubic area.
- Hypertrichosis – This term describes any excessive hair growth that is considered outside the normal range for the age and race of a specific individual, regardless of gender. Congenital Hypertrichosis is seen at birth while Acquired Hypertrichosis develops later in life.
Laser Hair Removal Success at Brisbane Skin
Are you self-conscious about excess facial and body hair? Does unwanted hair on your cheeks, back, chest, or legs make swimsuit season a nightmare? Would you like to have less hair and more self-confidence?
Book yourself in with one of our specialist laser nurses for a FREE hair-removal consultation today!
If you have any questions or need information about aesthetic enhancement of any kind, you can reach our skin experts by phone during business hours on 07 3160 3330. If you prefer, you can use the contact form on this page to learn how Brisbane Skin uses lasers to rid you of unwanted body hair and excess facial hair painlessly and permanently.